Clock ticks on city’s offer to Chroy Changvar protesters

Source: Phnom Penh Post |Mon, 19 September 2016, by

a_chroy_changvar_community_representative_speaks_through_a_megaphone_earlier_this_month_during_a_protest_against_ocic_at_the_ministry_of_land_07_09_2016_hong_menea

A Chroy Changvar community representative speaks through a megaphone earlier this month during a protest against OCIC at the Ministry of Land Management. Hong Menea

Chroy Changvar residents affected by the development of a planned satellite city project must accept a City Hall proposal that would see them retain just 10 percent of the land they claim or risk losing everything, according to a letter issued last week.

A September 14 missive informed villagers they had two months to collect cards from authorities showing they had land on the peninsula and giving them claim to retain one-tenth of it.

Past the deadline, City Hall said it will not be responsible for land lost when the developer Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation begins construction on the project.

City spokesman Mean Chanyada yesterday said the offer was part of their policy, which includes a proposed $15 per hectare, adding that the villagers involved had knowingly occupied state-owned land. “When they bought the land, they knew it belonged to the state and was prohibited for sale,” he said.

Villager representative Chea Sophat said the offer was unacceptable and that they would seek clarification from the Land Management Ministry after the Pchum Ben holidays.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s