Fire guts a warehouse and damages 10 nearby houses

Source: Khmer Times

Firemen and locals fight the blaze. Supplied

A fire broke out in a scrap warehouse in Prey Veng province’s Peamro district on Saturday night which gutted the warehouse and affected 10 other homes.
District police chief Seng Pulork said no one was injured in the blaze and confirmed that faulty wiring was the cause.
“No one was injured in the blaze. We haven’t done a cost evaluation, but that’s in the works,” he said.
“We only know that some houses only suffered 10 percent damage, some 20 percent damage and others 50 percent damage.
“The fire started at the scrap warehouse, because of an electrical fault, and spread to 10 houses which were back-to-back with the warehouse. The warehouse was 90 percent destroyed,” he added.
According to Mr. Pulork, seven fire engines worked on extinguishing the blaze which took them all night and close to 100 trips to refill for water. The fire was finally put out at 6am on Sunday.
“Once the seven trucks were all at the scene, it took firefighters about an hour to control it and prevent it from spreading to more houses. Nearby houses would’ve been completely destroyed had firefighters not intervened in time,” he said.
Separately, three houses were destroyed in Siem Reap City’s Svay Dangkum commune on Friday morning after a gas explosion caused a fire.
Siem Reap City police chief Tith Narong said the blaze started in a house which doubled as a store selling gas. An employee was filling up smaller containers with gas when it sparked the fire, which the homeowners could not control dispite using four fire extinguishers.
“Two workers at the house selling gas were slightly injured on their hands and legs,” commune police chief Sou Vandeth said. The other two homes gutted in the fire also doubled as a phone shop and a laundry store. Both homeowners have sued for compensation, however the owner of the gas business has since fled.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s