Source : Khmer Times
Families in Preah Sihanouk province’s Muoy commune are withdrawing their request for the Land Management Ministry to intervene in a land dispute with Sihanoukville Autonomous Port official Chan Kang as the matter has been resolved.
The ministry on Friday posted a letter from the families requesting the withdrawal to its Facebook page.
Preah Sihanouk provincial Governor Yun Min said last month that authorities had resolved the dispute involving five hectares of land between 41 families and Mr Kang.
He said the families had agreed to relocate to a new site in the commune. Both parties also agreed to end a lawsuit.
However, a representative of the families, Tan Sivorn, said yesterday that they had yet to receive the titles to the land at the new location despite agreeing to end the six-year-long dispute.
“We have already withdrawn all the applications for intervention and given the provincial authorities the documentation needed for the distribution of the land to our people,” Ms Sivorn said. “We have already handed the documents to the provincial level, but have not yet received any information about the land distribution.”
She urged provincial authorities to speed up the distribution of land plots as promised.
Mr Kang could not be reached for comment yesterday.
Provincial deputy Governor Chhin Seng Nguon said yesterday that a provincial working team has started providing the land plots to the families. However, he could not provide any details.
“As far as I know, the working team is already on this case,” he said. “However, I can’t clearly give the exact date for the land distribution.”
In June, the 41 families had gathered several times in front of the ministry to seek its help in resolving the dispute.